Recently my mom was here to visit and care for A for the week and we went out to lunch with little A, my sister and my brother-in-law. We went to one of our favorite restaurants, which also happened to be a restaurant we had eaten in the weekend before we got THE CALL. And wouldn't you know that they happened to sit us in the exact spot where we had sat on that last Saturday night before I became a parent-to-be. [Incidentally, if you want to go back and re-live that weekend with me a bit, another of my Show and Tell posts is also from that weekend.]
A not so great picture from our August 2008 trip to the restaurant serves as my show and tell this week:

Like I said, it's not a great shot. I had paella. It wasn't very good, but I was quite excited when they brought it to the table. Excited enough to take a picture of it. Looking back at these pictures, I juxtapose them in my mind with the images of my January 2009 lunch at the same table. In my recent visit to that table, though, I spent most of my time trying to entertain my not-quite-6-month old daughter in a place that is clearly not meant for little babies to spend time in. And marveling at how marvelously amazing she is. I've been thinking a lot lately about these radical and sudden changes that have happened in my life. I love them. I crave them. I'm beginning to crave some kind of radical change in my life again - since it's been all of 6 months since my last one. But that's for another day's writing....
For others showing and telling this week, make sure to visit the class!
6 comments:
Oops! Just noticed that Show and Tell links to the S&T from that special weekend, not today's.
How wonderful to experience the same things without then with your daughter.
Thanks for the heads up, Cassandra! I hadn't noticed it, but I did re-post to Mel's blog. Thanks again!
I did the same thing, I commented on the other one. I'm still pretty new to S&T. It's fun to think about the days when everything changed for the good. How awesome that everything "clicked" this weekend and you were able to think about it in such a way.
I cherish those little reminders about the special things. Especially since there seem to be so many 'bad' anniversaries lately.
Thanks for sharing!
Okay, I saw two connects to your blog on the Show and Tell List and I checked the links to decide the recent one to comment. Feels clever! ;)
I really can't make out what it was that you had. But I am so happy that you now have your daughter with you and that she behaved so well while at the restaurant.
BTW, Your profile reads as "In August 2009, my husband and I adopted a baby girl through a domestic open adoption. " Umm...is it August 2008?
Regardless of whether or not the paella was tasty, it looked pretty good! But more importantly, the memories it brings are good ones--congratulations on the adoption of your daughter, I'll have to go back and read the story after leaving my comment.
Post a Comment