Thursday, July 7, 2011

OA Roundtable: First Meeting

Our first meeting with our daughter's first mother was..... like no other experience I've had. It is the most important meeting I've had. I cried the whole time. Not sobbing, but I teared the entire time. I was just so overcome with emotion. I still cannot believe how incredibly present, poised, clear and strong K was.

Although I was overcome with emotion, I remember much of what we said during that 45 minute meeting. We talked about K's journey to this city, her hometown, our plans to travel to her country, our daughter's name. At one point K looked at my husband and myself and told us each in turn that she knew we would be amazing parents for our daughter. I hit me like a ton of bricks. She just seemed so sure. Maybe more sure that I was.

I hold this memory very, very dear. In part because of what it represents for my life and my family, but also because it was one of only two meetings we have had so far with K. I still hope for more meetings, but as time moves on (little A will be 3 in August), I become less hopeful.

For more responses to the 27th OA Roundtable, go here.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Those first meetings with our children's other parents are so intense, aren't they? Like you, I have such strong memories of those days.

Thanks for participating! I'm glad the prompt dragged you back into blogging again. :)